Not just any book could follow-up Kimberlee Conway Ireton’s Cracking Up . Right? What a month we’ve had. Wow. Kimberlee’s words brought us the vocabulary of “grace notes” and leaning hard into negative emotions and experiences such as depression and envy. She helped point us to God and others in our lives. So, not just any book was going to do for us. Thankfully An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor is, I believe, the perfect follow-up to Cracking Up.
We believe this so strongly we are giving away FIVE copies of the book!
This is not a book to rush through and every chapter is worthy of it’s own focus. The 12 chapters are:
1. The practice of waking up to God
2. The practice of paying attention
3. The practice of wearing skin
4. The practice of walking on the earth
5. The practice of getting lost
6. The practice of encountering others
7. The practice of living with purpose
8. The practice of saying no
9. The practice of carry water
10. The practice of feeling pain
11. The practice of being present to God
12. The practice of pronouncing blessings
You can see why we can’t just race through this, can’t you?! This is the kind of book where you can say “This practice is my favorite!” and then you read another chapter and find yourself say, “No, this practice is my favorite!” So much here for discussion and application in our real (and messy and beautiful) lives. I can’t wait to get started!
We’re jumping in next week with the intro and Chapter 1: the practice of waking up to God. Such a good place to start!
We are excited that we are again able to offer FIVE free copies of the book! To be announced in The Grove. To be eligible to enter leave a comment sharing and let us know which of these practices intrigues you or catches your eye. And maybe YOU will win a free copy!
See you in the comments!
Disclosure : Amazon Affiliate links included in this post. If you click through to Amazon, any purchase you make supports this site.