Holidays have a knack for bringing out laughter and tears, and that was certainly the case for Velvet Ashes this week. We’re here at The Grove today, with full bellies and hearts, talking about the prompt “Taste.” Here we go…
The Power of Taste
No matter how many tricks I tried, I could not for the life of me get my little counter top oven to bake that pie all the way through. Finally, I threw my arms up, said, “Forget it. Let’s just eat.” I sliced pieces onto our plates, crunchy apples and all. And then I took a bite. One taste was all it took. One taste brought me back to warm memories, to family gatherings with tables stuffed full, cousins running wild through the house. I looked up at my husband and saw it did the same for him. We both nearly cried.
We were a few months into our first year overseas. Winter was settling in, and so was the fear in our hearts. Are we going to make it?
Reality has a brutal way of never being what you previously imagined. And really, how can you imagine life in a world you’ve never known? But there we were, in the middle of this new life in a strange new world. And we were weary. Weary of all the simple things we didn’t know how to do, weary of the big goals that now felt like impossible dreams, weary of the eggs and toast that were all I knew how to cook. And we were weary of the distance that stretched between us and loved ones left behind.
But that one taste, that one glorious, familiar, delicious taste, it did something for me. It connected me to my past, my roots and my people. And bite by bite, as I finished my slice, that taste, it spoke courage me, to my future ahead. “A half-baked pie, that’s progress, you know. You’re getting there, Love. You’re finding your way.”
Still to this day, an apple pie it warms me right through.
The power of taste. To evoke emotion, memory and strength. Perhaps this is why Someone, in his last moments with his people, left them with a taste. A bite to remember, to hold onto the good. And a sip to step forward to the bright unknown.
Share your thoughts and art on “Taste.” What tastes hold power for you? You can now attach an image in your comment! So have fun!
- If you don’t have a blog, share with us in the comments. We have the amazing NEW ability to post images in our comments! So post your images and/or your words there.
- If you have a blog, write or make art based on the prompt.
- Be sure to add the Velvet Ashes link (http://velvetashes.com/the-grove-grateful) to your blog post. Feel free to use the button code from our side bar.
- Please select the permalink from your post (so not your blog’s url,www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com but your post url:http://www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com/2013/11/todays-day.html)
- Use the blue linky tool below to enter your link.
- It will walk you through selecting which image you want to show up in the linky.
- Then your post will show up in The Grove’s linky.
- Then go share some comment love! It’s the rule. We applaud brave hearts!