Thanks for wanting to share your story and creativity with Velvet Ashes!
We are a community of women living and serving abroad–and we would love for you to offer your words here. We’ll be richer for hearing from you.
We believe truth and hope are best shared through story. And the power of story lies in authentic vulnerability fueled by love. As you prepare a post for Velvet Ashes you may want to read What is Velvet Ashes, We are Women Who, and Responsible, Ethical Storytelling. Poke around to get a sense for what this community is all about.
Each week we have a word prompt or theme that serves to center our stories. The questions and suggestions following each prompt are merely ideas to get you going. Feel free to take your own unique angle on the prompt.
Not Afraid (due October 26): There have been plenty of reasons to give in to fear this year. But we are women who are firmly rooted in Christ and can focus our eyes on His Kingdom. How have you dealt with fear lately? How are you living out courage and faith when things feel uncertain and messy?
Preparation (due November 30): What does holiday preparation look like where you are serving? Expectation is more of a feeling, and preparation is more about doing. How do you balance being and doing, especially when the holiday season can be so full with ministry opportunities and obligations? From Shadow and Light: “Advent is a gift that invites us to slow down and understand why we celebrate.”
Your submission should:
- Be in the neighborhood of 600-900 words.
- Be submitted as a Word doc or docx only.
- Include your name and the title of your post in the document itself as well as in the doc title (example: Sarah Doe – Post Title Here.doc). We do accept pseudonyms as required by context or location.
- Be original content. We publish content that has not been published elsewhere, including personal blogs.
- Be aware that essays for online publication need only one space after periods/full stops. This will save us loads of time in the editing process.
- Conclude with a reflective question to invite conversation in the comments.
- Include a headshot and personal bio. Headshots should be attached (not in the body of your submission) and no larger than 600 x 600 px. Bios should be 100 words or less, telling us a bit about you, but mostly drawing readers to feel a connection to you. Please include all your social media hyperlinks so that readers can connect with you and so we can tag you when we share your post.
Please send your submission to Laura at: submissions (at) velvetashes (dot) com
We do have limited spots available. If your essay is not chosen for publication, we happily encourage you to share it with our community by linking up at The Grove the week of that theme.
If selected for publication, posts may be edited for length and clarity. At this time, we do not offer compensation for published work.
We look forward to reading and prayerfully considering your piece. If you don’t hear from us immediately, please don’t be alarmed. We’ll be in touch!
Thank you for the gift of your story,
– The Velvet Ashes Team