Thanks for wanting to share your story and creativity with Velvet Ashes!
We are a community of women living and serving abroad–and we would love for you to offer your words here. We’ll be richer for hearing from you.
We believe truth and hope are best shared through story. And the power of story lies in authentic vulnerability fueled by love. As you prepare a post for Velvet Ashes you may want to read What is Velvet Ashes, We are Women Who, and Responsible, Ethical Storytelling. Poke around to get a sense for what this community is all about.
Each week we have a word prompt or theme that serves to center our stories. The questions and suggestions following each prompt are merely ideas to get you going. Feel free to take your own unique angle on the prompt.
Invited (due February 15): This is a special week as we share about the retreat theme for 2021 and open registration! God’s invitation to us is personal, between him and us. This invitation might look different in the different seasons of our souls as well. Do you have a testimony of how a Velvet Ashes retreat ministered to you? Or maybe you haven’t done a retreat before, but you feel the nudge and invitation from God to retreat this year.
Division (due March 1): It is scary to see the division in our world right now, especially if the US is your passport country. It’s not new though. Even among cross-cultural workers, division over denomination or theology, work or ministry, can push us apart. How do you deal with all the differing opinions out there and strive for unity? How do you pursue connection and not let those things get in the way?
Safe Harbor (due March 8): A safe harbor provides protection, a place of security and rest. And that is the gift we want to give to our community. Where has your heart found safe harbor?
Your submission should:
- Be in the neighborhood of 600-900 words.
- Be submitted as a Word doc or docx only.
- Include your name and the title of your post in the document itself as well as in the doc title (example: Sarah Doe – Post Title Here.doc). We do accept pseudonyms as required by context or location.
- Be original content. We publish content that has not been published elsewhere, including personal blogs.
- Be aware that essays for online publication need only one space after periods/full stops. This will save us loads of time in the editing process.
- Conclude with a reflective question to invite conversation in the comments.
- Include a headshot and personal bio. Headshots should be attached (not in the body of your submission) and no larger than 600 x 600 px. Bios should be 100 words or less, telling us a bit about you, but mostly drawing readers to feel a connection to you. Please include all your social media hyperlinks so that readers can connect with you and so we can tag you when we share your post.
Please send your submission to Laura at: submissions (at) velvetashes (dot) com
We do have limited spots available. If selected for publication, posts may be edited for length and clarity. At this time, we do not offer compensation for published work.
We look forward to reading and prayerfully considering your piece. If you don’t hear from us immediately, please don’t be alarmed. We’ll be in touch!
Thank you for the gift of your story,
– The Velvet Ashes Team