Thanks for wanting to share your story and creativity with Velvet Ashes!
We are a community of women living and serving abroad–and we would love for you to offer your words here. We’ll be richer for hearing from you.
We believe truth and hope are best shared through story. And the power of story lies in authentic vulnerability fueled by love. As you prepare a post for Velvet Ashes you may want to read “What is Velvet Ashes?” and “We are Women Who.” Poke around to get a sense for what this community is all about.
Each week we have a word prompt or theme that serves to center our stories.
Our current openings:
Custodian: What does it mean to be a custodian when it comes to your ministry? Your calling? Your family? Your experiences? Your education, wealth, other blessings? Even struggles? Share a few areas that God has entrusted you to be the custodian. Of the areas you shared, which do you enjoy being the custodian? Which would you like a pass on these days? How does the word “custodian” remind you of the school janitor? How is being a custodian like being a servant leader? Deadline: September 22
Myth: How important are myths or stories in your host culture? What have you learned about storytelling from your host culture? In what ways is the Good News seen as a myth in your context? How have you grown to see the dance between myth and truth when it comes to being a cross-cultural worker? Deadline: October 17
Shepherding: Are there shepherds in your country of service? What have you learned from them? How have you been shepherded by God? By your team? By family back home? By your organization? What shepherd scripture is special to you? Deadline: October 24
Prompts are updated quarterly. The questions and suggestions following each prompt are merely ideas to get you going. Feel free to take your own unique angle on the prompt.
Your submission should:
- Be in the neighborhood of 600-900 words.
- Be submitted as a Word doc or docx only.
- Include your name and the title of your post in the document itself as well as in the doc title (example: Amy Wheeler – Post Title Here.doc). We do accept pseudonyms as required by context and/or location.
- Be original content. We publish content that has not been published elsewhere, including personal blogs.
- Conclude with a reflective question to invite conversation in the comments.
- Include a headshot (attached as a jpeg).
- Include a bio. It should be just a few sentences long (100 words or less), telling us a bit about you, but mostly drawing readers to feel a connection to you. Please include all your social media links so that readers can connect with you and so we can tag you when we share your post.
Please send your submission to Karen at: submissions(at)velvetashes(dot)com
We do have limited spots available. If your essay is not chosen for publication, we happily encourage you to share it with our community by linking up at The Grove the week of that theme. At this time, we are not accepting submissions unrelated to our upcoming themes.
If selected for publication, posts may be edited for length and clarity. We look forward to reading and prayerfully considering your piece. If you don’t hear from us immediately, please don’t be alarmed. We’ll be in touch!
Thank you for the gift of your story,
– The Velvet Ashes Team