I know, right?! Wasn’t it mere days ago we declared our One Word for the year? Brought life to them by linking up here or through commenting?
But this is the thing about time, whether you want it to or not, it marches on. One half of 2014 is about to be history. One half.
I don’t know about you, but gigantic chunks of 2014 have not gone as I expected. Death of my dad, work projects not panning out, behind on my reading plan. All of which are true and the way I’ve phrased them, 2014 sounds like a bum year. But is it?
And that is why it’s good to pause, take stock, and see if our lives are actually as they appear. Set aside some time this week for a review of your One Word. Questions you could ask include:
- Do you still like your word? If not, no worries, you can always change! If brave, fearless, rest, wellness, present, together, perspective, joy, heroic, wait, nourish, or any other word is what you need for your year, change courses. It’s OK.
- Where do I see evidences of my One Word?
- In what ways has my One Word surprised me?
- How has God used my One Word to serve, prepare, or protect me so far this year?
- In what ways has my One Word disappointed me?
- If there are significant disappointments, do I need to explore this area more?
- Are there ways I need to ask God to help me open myself up more to my One Word?
This is the beautiful part of pausing and building in time to review – we move from autopilot to being more present in our own skins, our own lives, our own messy stories.
True, the unexpected death of my father and certain work plans not panning out were not what I had envisioned when #trust picked me for the year. But as I look back on the first half of the year, I see how #trust is truly the word God has for this journey.
I do best with accountability so I’m host a monthly link-up where we touch base on our one word the third Tuesday of each month (the link-up is open for one week). A half-year reflection would be the perfect time to join in!. For more details you can get them at The Messy Middle, but overall, it’s pretty simple. Write a post, come over to The Messy Middle, link-up, and visit a few of the fellow One Word travelers. And to keep you on your toes, this month it will be on THURSDAY of next week (I’m out of town).
This Friday at The Grove Alece Ronzino will be back to share with us about her word, so we will see you Friday at The Grove — in both the comments and the link-up. And next week pop over to the monthly link-up (and welcome to come back each month!).
Did these questions help get your juices flowing?