Find Community in Connection Groups
As women serving overseas, we all know how important it is to connect with other women living the same kind of story. We also know how difficult it can be for this to happen. That’s why Velvet Ashes created Connection Groups. We are thrilled to offer global women a place to share with each other. (And it’s free! No strings attached . . . just JOY!)
Keep Me Up-to-date on Connection Group Happenings
Be the first to know when Spring & Fall Connection Group Registration opens.
Interested in Leading A Group?
- A small group of women serving in different places across the world.
- An opportunity to share and encourage one another.
- An experience led by a group facilitator.
- After updating each other on your week, your facilitator will lead a discussion based on the weekly theme and posts.
- Velvet Ashes offers a spring session and a fall session of Connection Groups.
- Registration is announced at Velvet Ashes and takes place on a first-come-first-serve basis.
There are three options for Connection Groups:
- Skype Groups—Groups meet for a weekly video conference call at a designated time each week. Groups also have a private Facebook Group for further connection building. Discussions are led by the group facilitator.
- Facebook Groups—Groups share throughout the week in a private Facebook group. No designated time. Questions and prompts are facilitated by the group facilitator throughout the week.
- Email Groups—Groups happens via email. At the beginning of the week, the facilitator emails out the discussion questions (same questions the other groups use). Group members then reply all throughout the week. This group is reserved for those who cannot meet in a Skype group and don’t have Facebook.
Plus, we’ve got a group especially for people who are new to the field, will be transitioning this year, and going through transition and re-entry. So, if that’s you, be sure to look for those groups. You don’t want to walk through that alone!
Experience has shown that women experience the best connection in our Skype groups, so we encourage you to find a group with a time that works for you!
But we also know that having a designated time or unreliable internet is a barrier for many women. That’s why we also offer Facebook Groups. Experience also taught us that this is a better option than email groups, because you can have a face to remember, and it’s easier to converse.
We know that some countries have limited or blocked access to Facebook, and that some people are not Facebook users. That is why we have created an Email Group. This option is for those people.
Note that some groups are specifically for those preparing for home assignment, returning permanently, or those currently re-adjusting to their home countries.
All of our facilitators have been selected and referenced as trustworthy women who have a heart to encourage others. Don’t feel like you have to have a facilitator that is in your same stage of life. Part of the beauty of Velvet Ashes is that we are a beautiful mix of all stages of life, and we have so much to offer each other.
That being said, if you really want to connect with another homeschooling mom, or another single woman, feel free to jump in her group if it works for you.
Here is a taste of the groups available:
Skype groups: We have 7 Skype groups. Some are “regular”/for anyone type of groups, others targeted towards a particular group. Please note: All times are made with the time change in mind. Use this time zone converter .
Monday 12:30 a.m. EST Karen Tan — for anyone pre-field or in their first year
Monday 12 p.m. EST Susan Lehman — for anyone in “re-entry”
Tuesday 4:30 p.m. EST Darcy Staddon— for anyone on the field
Wednesday 8 a.m. EST Ruth Lemmen— for anyone on the field
Wednesday 12 p.m. EST Elizabeth Shitemi
—for anyone on the field
Thursday 9 p.m. EST Kristi Magi —for anyone on the field
Friday 7 p.m. EST Chris Wheeler — for moms with adult children on the field
Facebook Live Chat groups: We have 3 Facebook Live Chat groups that will meet at the same time each week to be able to live chat for an hour. They are all “regular” for anyone type of groups.
Monday 1:00 p.m. EST Amy Young — for anyone on the field
Tuesday 9:00 p.m. EST Rachel Vasquez — for anyone on the field
Thursday 3:00 p.m. EST Emily Smith — for anyone on the field
Email groups: A regular group, open to anyone on the field without Facebook. Caitlin Lieder will facilitate.
Facebook groups: We have 14 Facebook groups. Twelve of the are “regular” for anyone type of groups. We will be launching in three waves, taking time zones around the world into consideration. Here you can see the name of each facilitator and the type of groups they will lead. More specific information on each mentor will be available when registration opens.
WAVE ONE (Tuesday, February 21st, 6 p.m. EST)
Bethany Judd — for anyone on the field
Cosette Greeno — for anyone on the field
Malia Heil — for anyone on the field
Sarah Hilkemann — for singles on the field
Joy Smalley — for anyone on the field
WAVE TWO (Wednesday, February 22nd, a little after 1 a.m. EST)
LeAnne Parham — for anyone on the field
Ruthie Howard — for anyone on the field
Bayta Schwarz — for anyone adjusting back to “home”
Diana Ventura — for anyone on the field
Danielle Krouch — for anyone on the field
WAVE THREE (Wednesday, February 22nd, a little after 2 p.m. EST)
MaDonna Maurer — for anyone on the field
Cecily Willard — for anyone on the field
Jenilee Goodwin — for anyone preparing for furlough
Jamiee Silva — for anyone on the field