I used to think that the time to share my voice would come later. It was that elusive “some day.” Some day…when I have more life tucked under my belt, when the kids are older, when I have more time, when I’ve had more training, then perhaps I’ll have something of value to share.
So I held back, waiting for the “some day.”
Then I read about some women, some real-life hero/mentor kind of ladies. These women were living in the “some day” of my imagination. Their kids were grown and gone, they had years of living and learning to draw from. Surely, they had people knocking down their doors, lining up to drink from their wells of wisdom.
These ladies were lamenting that they feel like they are too old, too out of touch, too out of style to be wanted, to be needed.
So they too hold back, feeling like their day has passed them by.
That’s when I saw it. That’s when it all clicked. There’s a force at work here. Something, someone, wants to hold us back. Someone tries to stall, scare, and deceive so that there is always a reason to be silent.
That’s because he knows. The Deceiver knows the power of voice. He knows that voice can break barriers. It can unite lives. Voice can bring truth, cause change, heal hearts. So he’ll blow fear, whisper lies, stuff busyness, anything, anything to keep my voice and yours quiet.
Because the Spirit in me has something to say to you. And the Spirit in you has something to say to me.
I don’t know what the Deceiver’s been whispering to you. Maybe it’s…
No one wants to hear.
You have nothing to offer.
You’re not a real teacher/writer/speaker/artist/musician.
You have no time or opportunity.
Today, can we all stand together and call these what they are? Lies. Deceptions. Ties holding you back from what the Spirit wants to say through you. To someone. Somewhere.
I don’t know where or to whom your voice needs to be shared. I just know this is a good place to start.
Share your voice with us. Here’s how:
- If you don’t have a blog, share with us in the comments. We have the amazing ability to post images in our comments! So post your images and/or your words there.
- If you have a blog, write or make art based on the prompt.
- Be sure to add the Velvet Ashes link (http://velvetashes.com/the-grove-letter-to-self) to your blog post. Feel free to use the button code from our side bar.
- Please select the permalink from your post (so not your blog’s url,www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com but your post url:http://www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com/2013/11/todays-day.html)
- Use the blue linky tool below to enter your link.
- It will walk you through selecting which image you want to show up in the linky.
- Then your post will show up in The Grove’s linky.
- Then be sure to go visit other’s sites and share some comment love! It’s the rule. We applaud brave hearts!
Speaking of voice…
There’s this conference for women, a conference that actually comes to you. Yes, you, right where you are. It’s free, and it’s amazing. And if you’re done with fake and fluffy women’s events, then this one is definitely for you. Because it’s made up of women who have fought through the lies holding them back and are ready to share their voice. The theme is “We need your story.”
This April, Velvet Ashes is joining up with the kindred spirits over at (in)courage to take part in (in)RL 2014, a world-wide webcast about the heart of community. Click on over here for details, because you do NOT want to miss this.