Today’s Grove is going to be a little different because I want to hear from YOU! Yes, you, you who rarely comment or you who often comment. You who is reading this. Hi! Hi to you :).
Since enjoying is about taking pleasure or delight in something, I thought we could connect over what we enjoy and get to learn a little bit about each other. I’ve written 10 questions around the topic of enjoying. I’m going to list them here so if you want to just cut and paste the questions, you can and I’ll answer them below. Feel free to share as little or as much as you want. You could even pick just one question to answer. Want to know one thing I’d enjoy? Hearing from you 🙂
1. What time of day do you enjoy?
2. Where do you enjoy being alone?
3. What do you enjoy doing with people?
4. Which would you enjoy more: listening to music or listening to podcasts?
5. What do you enjoy that might surprise people?
6. What do you enjoy about the culture you live in?
7. What do you enjoy about your family?
8. What do you enjoy eating or drinking in the summer?
9. What do you enjoy about this season of life you’re in?
10. What do you enjoy doing for others?
10.5. What do you enjoy about Velvet Ashes?
1. What time of day do you enjoy? The early morning, especially at this time of year where I can sit outside with a cup of tea. (I also enjoy when I know I can go to bed!)
2. Where do you enjoy being alone? I enjoy being alone when I’m walking or driving to or from the gym. For years, that has been some of my best thinking time. I suspect it’s because as I use my body my mind starts working … or maybe now it’s a Pavlov’s dog thing. Whatever.
3. What do you enjoy doing with people? Okay, don’t hate me for my not very spiritual answer, but the truth is, I enjoy watching TV or movies with other people. I like how it gives us a common vocabulary and experience to reflect back on.
Can I have two on this one? I also really, really enjoy watching sporting events with fellow-fans of my team :). Like, really, really enjoy it.
4. Which would you enjoy more: listening to music or listening to podcasts? Haha, since I wrote the questions, I just wanted us podcast listeners to try and go toe-to-toe with you music listeners. I do like music. I do. Sort of. Well, I like hymns and music I can dance to. And that is about it. If only the last verse of Amazing Grace said “When we’d been there 10,000 years we’d only just begun to listen to podcasts!”
5. What do you enjoy that might surprise people? Really? Who wrote these? Again, you might think less of me, but the truth is for a special treat I enjoy reading People magazine. (If you’re not from a country that has it, don’t worry. You’re not really missing much. I just like pop culture. And apparently podcasts!)
6. What do you enjoy about the culture you live in? I enjoy the blue skies! Maybe that’s not really a thing about culture, but if you’ve lived where the skies are cloudy for years or covered by pollution, skies might be something you enjoy too :).
7. What do you enjoy about your family? I enjoy that we like each other and make it a priority to connect. I also enjoy we’re a game playing family and are raising another generation of strategic thinkers.
8. What do you enjoy eating or drinking in the summer? Salads and all the fruit that is in season. Peaches, blueberries, cherries, watermelon. Yum, yum, yum!
9. What do you enjoy about this season of life you’re in? Since I am mid-season of life, I enjoy how empowered I feel.
10. What do you enjoy doing for others? Okay, this answer is a bit serious. Truthfully? It saddens me how many people have more of a duty relationship with God than a love one. I enjoy helping others see how much they are loved by God, enjoyed by him, and how much freedom he wants them to have.
10.5. What do you enjoy about Velvet Ashes? I enjoy hearing from people in other parts of the world than the one I’ve lived in. I’m so thankful for the ways this space has broadened and expanded me.
Your turn. I know others can’t wait to hear what you enjoy too. It’s powerful to have “me too!” moments, but those can only happen if you comment :).
I’ll be attending a conference when you first read this, so if I don’t immediately respond, it’s not because I think what you enjoy is stupid (at least that’s the little voice that would go off in me if I didn’t hear from someone in a timely fashion). It’s because I’m enjoying learning new things and meeting people. I will come back and respond, but I also hope you’ll comment on each others “enjoys.”
I can see why enjoying in mentioned so often in Ecclesiastes, it’s good every now and then to stop and chat about topics that can get pushed to the margins in light of all the “important” work. So, thanks for letting me share a bit of my lighter side.
This is what we call The Grove. It’s where we all gather to share our thoughts, our words, and our art on our weekly prompt. So join us in the comments. Show us your art work by adding an image. And link up your own blog posts on this week’s prompt. Click here for details and instructions.