I hear it in your voice. You’re telling me that you’ve decided to leave. Soon you’ll be packing your bags and returning to your home country indefinitely. You’re not sure what the future holds, you just know that this overseas chapter of your life needs to come to a close, at least for now.
I hear it in your voice, the twinge of shame.
It feels as if you’re handing in your badge, the one marked “Spiritual Hero.” The badge that was pinned on you when you announced to the world, “I’m moving overseas to serve the Lord!” We all know none of us deserves the hero title, but still, you have to admit, it feels nice to wear it.
But this life has taken its toll. And you’re done. You say, “Here’s my badge, title and all.”
You might be perfectly at peace with your decision to leave. Maybe your departure date was planned long ago. But maybe you are the battle-worn soldier waving a white flag to walk away from it all.
Whatever your reason for returning, beware of the lies that try to sneak in.
The ones that say you’re less than those who stay.
The ones that whisper in your ear, “You couldn’t cut it, could you?”
The ones that tell you, “You should have more to show for yourself.”
Maybe you’re wishing for more measurable results to pack up in your bag, more newsletter-worthy stories, more moving accounts to share from a microphone, to prove that it was worth it, to know that you are worth it.
You don’t say all this, but I see it in your eyes, I hear it in the twinge of your voice.
Can I scoot my chair right next to yours for a moment? Can I sling an arm round your shoulder and tell you something?
Those of us who stay, we do not judge you. If anybody in this whole wide world gets it, we do.
Behind the shield of our shiny badges, in our deep down honest hearts, we know. We know that we are all just one step away from following you. One phone call. One medical test. One flip of the calendar. One word from the Lord. One straw upon the camel’s back. We could all be on your heels.
We do not judge you. We understand, and we affirm you.
We affirm that the Father loves you, delights in you, not for what you do or where you live, but because you are you, his beloved.
Your honor is not tied to your address. You serve the Lord and you serve him from either side of the sea.
There is a time to go and a time to return. And there is no shame, no hierarchy in the kingdom. There’s freedom and honor for all. There’s only one real badge we wear and it’s marked, “His Beloved.”
So go. Go with freedom and your head held high. Move into the next chapter of his purposes for you with joy and expectation. And let your real badge shine.
Now let me give you a big ol’ hug. But know it’s not a goodbye hug. If you’ve found a home here at Velvet Ashes, then it’s a forever home. You are one of us no matter where you live.
Now it’s your turn to share your heart, your words, your art on our prompt “Return.”
- You can share with us in the comments, if you don’t have a blog of your own. We have the amazing ability to post images in our comments! So post images of your art and/or share your words there.
- If you write a comment, please avoid copying and pasting from Word as this will publish a lot of junk computer code. It’s best to type it directly into the comment box.
- If you have a blog, write or make art based on the prompt and join the link-up!
- Be sure to add the Velvet Ashes link (https://velvetashes.com/the-grove-return/) to your blog post.
- Please select the permalink from your post (so not your blog’s url,www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com but your post url:http://www.daniellenotyetthere.blogspot.com/2013/11/todays-day.html)
- Click on the blue “Add your link” button below to add your blog post to this page.
- It will walk you through selecting which image you want to show up in the linky.
- Then your picture and link will show up below!
- Then be sure to go visit each other’s sites and share some comment love! It’s the rule. We applaud brave hearts!
If you’re reading in email, be sure to click “Read in Browser” to go to the site to view the link ups and conversation in the comments.